We usually do a big Christmas ‘What’s On Extravaganza’ but as a result of cut backs (of effort) we’ve not done one this year.
Instead we’ve resorted to the simple yet highly effective technique of plagiarism. Yes, the good people behind the Twick Mums website have kindly allowed us to rip off the list that they have been lovingly curating over weeks, if not years.
In order to add that special twickerati Christmas vibe we’ve added a few extra bits of our own both for your benefit and to try to make us feel less ashamed of such blatant thievery. Merry Twickmas.
CHRISTMAS FAIRS, MARKETS, LIGHT UPS and SCHOOL FETES
Thursday 26th November
- 4.00-9.00pm: Lights Up and Shopping Event, Teddington
- Broad Street, High Street & Elmfield Gardens, Teddington TW11: Broad Street road closure 4.30-5.00pm; High Street road closure 5.00-9.00pm; Elmfield Gardens 6.00-6.30pm carols and switching on of the lights by The Mayor of Richmond Cllr Martin Seymour and Danny Care from Harlequins.
Friday 27th November
- 4.00-8.00pm (TBC): Christmas Parade, Hampton Hill
- High Street, Hampton Hill TW12: Details TBC, but this is usually a big event with a street long parade, live music, entertainment, lots of stalls, and children’s entertainment. Road closure at 5.30pm, parade at 6.30pm.
- 4.45-5.45pm: Christmas Lights Switch-On, East Twickenham
- Foot of Richmond Bridge, Richmond Road TW1: The Mayor of Richmond will open proceedings, followed by Father Christmas, carol singers, mulled wine, mince pies, children’s luck dip, music and much more.
Saturday 28th November
- 11.00am-2.30pm: Christmas Bazaar, Teddington
- St Mary’s Parish Hall, Langham Road, Teddington TW11: Christmas food hall; bric-a-brac; crafts & gifts; tombola; raffle; nearly new baby & children’s toys; games; children’s crafts & activities; Christmas decorations; glass & china; hog roast & mulled cider! Entry £1.00 (children free).
- 11.00am-5.00pm: Christmas Craft Fair, Teddington
- Normansfield Theatre, Langdon Park TW11: A magical wonderland of Christmas crafts and gifts, including cards, prints, gifts, ornaments, tableware, food, christmas decorations, handbags, and more. There will also be a coffee shop selling delicious refreshments and books, a tombola and an art/craft room for children to make a christmas decoration (£2.50 per child). Entry free.
- 11.30am-2.30pm: Orleans Primary School Christmas Fair, Twickenham
- Harrington Road, Twickenham TW1: Magic shows, Santa’s grotto, raffle, BBQ, tea & cakes, mulled wine & beer, marshmallow roasting, bouncy castle, stalls & games, bottle tombola, Christmas tress, and lots more! All welcome.
- 12.00-2.00pm: All Saints’ Christmas Bazaar, Hampton
- The Avenue, Hampton TW12 3RS: Details TBC but 2014 included Christmas gifts, lunches, books, cakes, family fun, crafts, tombola, raffle, and Father Christmas. Entry was £1.00 (children free).
- 2.00-5.00pm: Christmas Market & Carol Concert, Twickenham
- United Reform Church, First Cross Road, Twickenham TW2: Featuring OKMT Community Choir, Parents Choir & Music School Choir. Face & nail painting, Christmas cards, Christmas arts & crafts, pin the carrot on the snowman, mulled wine and mince pies, jewellery, books & CDs, children’s toys, tombola, cashmere shawls, cake stall.
Sunday 29th November
- 11.00am-6.00pm: Light Up Whitton
- Live music, rides & entertainment, mulled wine, market stalls, Santa’s grotto, roasted chestnuts, beer tent, fun run. Lights at 4.30pm.
- 11.30am-2.30pm: Christmas Market, Twickenham
- St James’s Catholic Church Hall & Emmanuel Centre, Radnor Road, Twickenham TW1: Stalls, kids den, grotto, bottle tombola, cakes, princess makeover, crafts, refreshments, and more. Entry £1.00 (children free).
- 1.30-4.30pm: Trafalgar Schools’ Christmas Craft Fair, Twickenham
- Gothic Road, Twickenham TW2: a great afternoon for all the family to have some fun and do some Christmas shopping!
- 4.00-7.00pm: Hampton Village Christmas Celebrations
- Station Road, Ashley Road, Station Approach, Tudor Road & Wensleydale Road, Hampton TW12: Loads of ideas for Christmas as well as an opportunity to buy those special gifts early. Many businesses will also be laying on special festive treats and activities for all the family.
Friday 4th December – Sunday 6th December
- 10.00am-4.30pm: BBC Good Food Festive Food Fayre, Hampton Court
- Hampton Court Palace, East Moseley KT8: Stock up the pantry for Christmas, plus pick up hints and tips from chefs in The Winter Kitchen, which will be hosted in the beautifully atmospheric Tudor Kitchen complete with roaring open fire. Entry free with normal admission ticket to HCP (£15.50/adult; £7.75/child).
- 5.30-7.30pm: Chase Bridge Festive Fair, Twickenham
- Chase Bridge Primary School, Kneller Road, Twickenham TW2: Meet Father Christmas, listen to Kneller Hall’s brass band, enjoy food, mulled wine, rides, carol singing and more. Entry £1.00 (children free). Sponsored by Milestone Residential.
Saturday 5th December
- 11.00am – 3.00pm: St Mary’s C of E Primary School, Twickenham. Christmas Fair and Christmas Tree Sale. Expect stalls, crafts, food, drink and more. Strafford Road, Twickenham.
- 12.00-4.00pm (TBC): Collis Primary School’s Christmas Fair, Teddington
- Fairfax Road, Teddington TW11: Details TBC but 2014 included an elves workshop, Santa’s grotto, ‘reindeer rides’, face painting & tattoos, European Christmas shopping market, beer, mulled wine & hot food, edible snow, lego competition, best dressed competition, loom band workshop.
- 12.00-4.00pm: St Mary’s & St Peter’s CE Primary School’s Christmas Fair
- Somerset Road, Teddington TW11: There will be a Rodeo Reindeer, Santa’s Grotto, a Christmas market, a disco room and lots more Christmas fun as well as a hog roast, mulled wine and plenty of festive food for hungry visitors.
- 12.30-3.00pm: Archdeacon Cambridge’s CE Primary School’s Christmas Fayre, Twickenham
- The Green, Twickenham TW2: ‘Away In A Manger’ – narrated by the festive tones of the Twickenham Gospel Community choir, come up close to the Wise Men, Shepherds and Angels while taking part in traditional games and competitions. Plenty of places to put your feet up, eat and drink, and Santa will be in his grotto to ensure a good time will be had by all. Entry £2.00 per person (children free).
- 1.30-5.00pm: Craft Fair, Twickenham
- St Mary’s Church Hall, Church Street, Twickenham TW1: Unique Christmas gifts, local crafters, handmade items. Entry free.
- 3.00-7.00pm: Inspiring Isleworth Christmas Market
- Lower Square, Old Isleworth TW7: A wide range of food stalls, an artisan market, funfair rides and of course, you can visit Santa in his grotto!
Sunday 6th December
- 11.00am-5.00pm: St Margaret’s Christmas Fair, St Margaret’s
- Crown Road, St Margaret’s TW1: The usual great mix of stalls at the street market, including delicious food vendors, plus fairground rides and attractions, music, some very Christmassy surprises… and a very famous jolly visitor from the north pole will be there with his real-life reindeers.
- 12.00-3.00pm: Stanley Primary School Christmas Bazaar
- Strathmore Road, Teddington TW11: Festive stalls and lots to eat and drink.
OTHER GOINGS ON
- Ice Skating returns! The Richmond Rink will be at Strawberry Hill House again this year. It’s a great location and sessions begin on 5th December and run through to 24thJanuary. Full details at the Richmond Rink website.
- Strawberry Hill House has some open dates in the run up to Christmas. Ham House will also be getting into the Christmas spirit, quite literally in the case of its special Christmas ghost tours. If you’re quick you can still catch the Enchanted Woodland at Syon Park too.
- Also check out the festive malarkey at Kew Gardens. Seeing the gardens illuminated at night is well worth visit. There’s also a vintage fair.
- Hampton Court Palace will have its own ice rink as usual and there’s also Courtyard Carol Singing, Ghost tours and the BBC Festive Food Fayre.
- Orleans House Gallery also has Christmas on its mind. On 13th December, Santa will be in the Octagon Room and there will be gifts for sale and craft activities.
- There’s an Italian Market in Church Street on the weekend of the 5th & 6th of December
- If you like a glass of mulled wine with your art then head over to see the Eel Pie Island Artists on the 5th or 6th of December for their Open Studio event. More info.
- The French Market returns to Church Street on the weekend of 12th & 13th December.
- For a family day out at the rugby, Harlequins take on Gloucester in Big Game 8 at Twickenham Stadium on Sunday 27th. Rudimental provide the entertainment. Ticket info.
PANTO & THEATRE
- Richmond Shakespeare Society, Twickenham – Twickenham’s very own theatre group will be putting on The Adventures of Dick Whittington and his Cat. A brand new version of this traditional story is given the full on panto treatment. Runs from 11th to 19th December. Richmond Shakespeare Society Info.
- Orange Tree Theatre, Richmond – A diverse line up covers the winter season but for something family focused then try I Believe in Unicorns which runs from 23rd December to 9th January. Olivier Award-nominated Wizard Presents brings best-selling children’s author Michael Morpurgo’s treasured story to life. Orange Tree Info.
- Richmond Theatre – Panto time this year means Cinderella time. Oh no it doesn’t, oh yes it does etc, etc. Legends Hayley Mills and Matthew ‘Stars in their Eyes’ Kelly top the bill. Runs from 4th Dec to 10th Jan. Richmond Theatre Info.
- Rose Theatre, Kingston – The Rose’s Christmas production is Dickens’ classic A Christmas Carol. You know the story well enough and the Rose promise a heart-warming family production. It runs from 1st December to 3rd January. Rose Theatre
- Hampton Hill Playhouse – Teddington Theatre Club will be putting on their interpretation of Sleeping Beauty at the Playhouse from 5th to 12th December. They’ll be turning the panto dial up to eleven for this one. Hampton Hill Playhouse
- Watermans in Brentford is doing the Christmas thing too. It’s Kipper’s Snowy Day. If you don’t know Kipper, he’s a fictional dog but a legend of a dog nevertheless. Watermans Centre.
We’re not going to spell it all out for you but here are a few links to the regular nights going on locally where you might find something you like:
- Bearcat Comedy Club – Top comedy line ups week in week out. And look out for its special New Year’s Eve show featuring not just comedy but a late bar and DJs to get you dancing. – www.bearcatcomedy.co.uk
- TwickFolk – Traditional & contemporary folk on Sundays at The Cabbage Patch – www.twickfolk.co.uk
- The Eel Pie Club – Rhythm & blues – www.eelpieclub.com
- Twickenham Jazz Club – Based at The Patch at The Cabbage Patch Pub and offering a range of jazz and big band music – www.twickenhamjazzclub.co.uk
Once again a big thanks to Twick Mums for letting us plunder their humungous listing of local Christmas fairs and markets.