UPDATE: Twickenham gets featured in the Homes & Property section of the Evening Standard this week? Are they right, are they wrong and have you learned anything new? Here’s a link to the article.
PREVIOUSLY, IN TWICKLAND: We’ve just heard that the Evening Standard’s Homes & Property Section (aka @homesproperty on Twitter) is going to feature Twickenham in its next edition. Woo! Get in! And what’s more they’ve even asked us if we’ve got any top tips. Or rather what they actually said was “Hi @twickerati our next @HomesProperty area guide is on #Twickenham. Pls tweet your local tips, comments etc to include on Wednes. Pls RT”. Well, needless to say there’s bloomin’ loads of good things about the area although whether we really want every Tom, Dick or Harry from across London turning up here is another matter. But, in the spirit of true generosity, let’s do the sharing thing. Here’s a very quick list. Why not add yours too?
- Excellent local website. And then there’s twickerati too.
- Lots of green space. It’s by the River Thames, convenient for Richmond and Bushy Parks.
- Some excellent pubs – and we don’t just mean rugby pubs either. Check out The White Swan, The Eel Pie, The Fox, The Sussex Arms and pretty much all the others.
- Some great local shops. And we don’t just mean the Poundland. There’s Rubens Bakehouse, Sandys Fishmonger, Laverstoke organic butchers. And we’re even seeing some green shoots of recovery on the high street. Again.
- If you like coffee you will never go short. There’s the usual chains and a host of small independent cafes.
- Some good restaurants and a sprinkling of boutique shops, especially down ‘historic’ Church Street. Talkin’ tapas, Italian, curry, deli food & more
- Easy to get to. Easy to get out of, should you want to, that is. Good transport into London and easy to head west.
- Convenient for Heathrow or if you just like plane noise.
- It’s not just about rugby… but it is home to the national stadium and Harlequins, a Premiership rugby club.
- There’s a Twickenham festival in June with loads going on, especially down by the river.
- Good schools.
- Arty types doing creative stuff on Eel Pie Island
- And of course, it’s cheaper than Richmond!
- You get to see this kind of thing….