And one more time… we don’t do listings here. Way too hard for the likes of us. But here are some plagiarised and edited highlights. Selected extracts, if you will. Always read the label and always, ALWAYS check a proper site for proper details. Here we go then…
FETES & FUN DAYS & OPEN DAYS
Sat 14th July, St Margarets Fair – Moor Mead. Always an impressive variety of stalls and entertainment at this event. Details here.
Sun 22nd July, Strawberry Hill Music & Fun Day – Lots of live bands, entertainment and stalls selling crafts, food and drinks. It’s a big event and, of course, in 2011 it was one of the few festival days where the sun actually shone! Details here.
Sat 7th July, Heatham House Livestock Event. 11.00am – 8.00pm – Community day at Heatham House showcasing young talent featuring music, competitions, aerosol art displays, dance, the original Batmobile and jam making workshops! Something for everyone perhaps? Details.
Sun 8th July, Twickenham Police Open Day – The local cop shop is running its second annual open day. Take a look around, watch demos, hear about the work of police dogs, horses, volunteering etc. There’s also face painting and your chance to “soak a bobby” in the stocks. (That’s with sponges rather than a water cannon, of course)Details here.
Fri 13th July, Premiership Rugby 7s – Harlequins, London Irish, Saracens and Wasps do battle at The Stoop in Pool A of the JP Morgan Asset Management Premiership Rugby 7s. Expect some fast and entertaining rugby from London’s biggest clubs. More details.
Sat 14th July, Wildlife & Nature, Jubilee Gardens – The first of a few LBRuT things that’ll be rockin’ the new Trubilee Gardens in Twickenham! 12.00 to 4.30pm it’s “Three interactive animal presentations by Prof Charles Mason and Biggles the oversized toy bat”. What? You ‘eard!
Sun 15th July, Literature Along the Thames, Jubilee Gardens – Sessions on creative writing, poetry and novel reading. No blogging allowed! Probably. 1.00pm to 5.00pm.
Details on both of these LBRuT events and future dates here.
Strawberry Hill House – In addition to the Music & Fun day there’s a bunch of interesting stuff going on at SHH including a Gothic Book Club and an exhibition of work by local youngsters. Details.
ART GALLERIES & MUSEUMS
Orleans House Gallery
* 23rd Jun to 23rd Sept, Polemically Small: An exhibition which explore the idea that small works can often have a more powerful impact than larger ones. Includes works by 50 British artists. Info.
* And OHG also run a range of summer courses and workshops which are worth investigating.
Kneller Hall, Concerts in the Park – 27 June, 4, 11, 18 July. Outdoor concerts in the park at the Royal Military School of Music. Take a picnic. Details here.
8th & 9th Sept – Lady Gaga. There’s the small matter of Gaga’s Born This Way Ball taking place at Twickenham Stadium. You have been warned! Residents can [could] apply for tickets in the RFU ballot.
Okay, so this ain’t Stratford but a little of the ol’ Olympic magic takes place in Twickenham, or at least passes through it… or near it. Did you know that twickerati is an “official partner of London 2012?” No? Perhaps that’s because our multi-million pound corporate sponsorship application got eaten by the dog. Anyway…
* Olympic Torch Relay: passes through LBRuT on Tue 24th & Fri 27th July. Travels from Kingston to Petersham, Richmond and Kew.
* Cycling: The men’s and women’s road races pass through Twickenham on Sat 28th & Sun 29th July respectively. The time trial rehearsals are on Tue 31st and the main event takes place on Wed 1st August.
* Full info via El Brute’s Olympic page
Too many other bits & pieces to list specifics but here are three different regular nights going on where you might find something you like:
* Bearcat Comedy Club – top comedy in TW1 but take note that it closes for the summer – www.bearcatcomedy.co.uk
* TwickFolk – traditional & contemporary folk – www.twickfolk.co.uk
* The Eel Pie Club – rhythm & blues – www.eelpieclub.com
Richmond Shakespeare Society, Mary Wallace Theatre – The highly respected local theatre group will be putting on Romeo & Juliet by you know who. This is the outdoor production by the naked ladies, 15th to 21st July. Details.
* Check out the Orange Tree Theatre, Richmond.
* Richmond Theatre. Impressive line up of plays and performers over the next few months including Simon Amstell, Jimmy Carr, Volcano (by Teddington lad Noel Coward) and Educating Rita.
Sat 30th June, The Big Dance Bus, Twickenham Green – A range of dance events to watch and take part in. El Brute link.
PHEW!!!! Check back soon for updates either in the main text or in the comments. Meanwhile… don’t go changin’
And here’s what’s been & gone, just for the record, like….
1st – 17th June 2012, Twickenham Riverside Jubilee Festival
This year’s Twickenham Festival has a Diamond Jubilee theme to it, gawd bless. As per usual there’s a load of stuff going on. You’re part of the great twickerati so get down there. And for the avoidance of doubt, the Twickenham Festival includes the Twickenham Carnival. Probably. Here’s a sample of the events…
Fri 1st June, Tug of War: 6.00pm, Barmy Arms. The traditional start to the event. Expect the Mayor in full garb and a lot of men huffing and puffing. Oooh Missus!
Sat 2nd June: All sorts going on from 10.00am including:
* Charlie Shore’s Regatta: from 10:00am
* Church Street Craft Market: 10:00am to 6.00pm
* St Mary’s Church Fayre: 10:00am to 6.00pm
* Live music on the Embankment: 2.00pm to 8.00pm
* Shetland Pony Rides: 10:00 to 8.00pm, Naked Ladies, York House Gardens
* Twickenham Rowing Club Open Day: 10:00 to 18:00 – Eel Pie Island
* Tours of Pope’s Grotto and JMW Turner’s House
Tue 5th June, Church Street Jubilee Party: 10:00am to 6.00pm
Fri 8th June, Comedy with the Bearcat Jubilee Special - One of London’s best comedy clubs cranks up the gags for a Jubilee Special. Details from bearcatcomedy.
Fri 8th June, D-Day Charity Dance with Nark Drool & The Shudders. A night of 1950s music on Eel Pie Island.
Sat 9th June: And there’s more…
* Twickenham Alive Blue Mile: from 10:00am, The Embankment. Get on the river and raise money for charity.
* Live music, stalls, children’s fairground rides on Twickenham Embankment, 2.00pm – 8.00pm
* Turner and Pope’s Grotto Tours (fee payable)
* Strawberries and cream afternoon: 12:00 to 5.00pm – Richmond Yacht Club
Fri 15th – Sun 17th June, Italian Market: Church Street, 12:00pm to 5.00pm. Bella, bella.
Sat 16th June, SRB Dragon Boat Races: 10:00am to 7.00pm, The Embankment, Twickenham. Only £150 per boat for 16-18 people. To find out about organising a team contact http://www.twickenhamalive.com / email@example.com. No prior experience necessary.
Sat 16th June, Twickenham Family Fun Day: – Not strictly part of the Festival but this Fun Day on Twickenham Green will feature live music, stalls, activities for children, food and a bar provided by Twickenham Taverns (The Fox, The Sussex Arms & The Royal Oak). 1.00pm – 7.00pm.
SUN 17th JUNE, TWICKENHAM CARNIVAL!
10:00am to 5:00pm – Orleans House Gallery, Riverside. El Brute info page.
* Parade from York House to the “Carnival Village” at Orleans House Gallery
* Music, stalls, entertainment, arts & crafts to keep adults and children entertained
* Hoping for better weather than last year and most of this year!
Sun 3rd June, Crown Road Jubilee Fair – 11.00am to 4.00pm, St Margarets. Celebrate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, includes children’s jubilee tea party. Details here.
Bank Holiday Monday 4th June, HANDS Charities Fair – 10.00am to 3.00pm, Twickenham Green.
Mon 4th June, East Twickenham Jubilee Picnic Noon til 3pm, in Cambridge Gardens. BYO picnic + beer tent & bbq. East Twick Village.
Sat 16th June, Archdeacon Cambridge school fete – 11.30am to 4.00pm
Sat 16th June, Twickenham Green Family Fun Day, 1.00pm – 7.00pm – See above under the Festival for details (although we wonder why there’s a fun day on the Green on the same day as Twickenham Festival activities by the river and the Carnival the next day.)
Sat 16th June, St Mary’s primary school fete – 11.30am – 3.30pm
Sun 17th, June, Trafalgar junior school – summer fair
(let us know any others)
Sun 24th June, Official Opening of Jubilee Gardens, Twickenham Embankment – After years of inactivity the old pool site is being opened up as public garden. A “fun day” with music & stalls will take place to officially open the gardens to the public.
Sun 1st July, Village of Twickenham Green Fete – 12.00pm to 8.00pm. Organised by the Friends of Twickenham Green this fete takes place… on the Green, of course. There will be free music, bars, food, diverse stalls (commercial and charity/non-profit).
* Sat 16th & Sun 17th June, Midsummer Art Fair – Landmark Arts Centre, Teddington. Over 90 artists exhibiting paintings, prints, sculpture, jewellery and photographs. Info.
* Fri 22nd & Sun 24th June, Richmond Art Society Summer Exhibition, Teddington. Also at the Landmark, RAS host paintings from arts groups from Richmond’s twin town of Fontainbleu just outside Paris.
* 22nd June to 1st July, ARThouse, Richmond Open Studios – Artists from across the Borough open their studios to the public. Your chance to see the wealth of artistic talent in the area. Eel Pie Artists studios will be open too.
– Eel Pie Artists
3rd & 4th June – Jubilee Jazz, Strawberry Hill House. Mellow jazz in cool surrounds. Niiice. Info.